With all the excitement of participating in Building To SHARE A Place To Call Home, you may be wondering how you can participate. You may be saying to yourself, “I have no extra funds in my budget.” Or, “I don’t have a budget, and I don’t know if I have any extra money to give.” Or, “I want to participate, but I don’t know how and need guidance.” There could be any number of reasons why you may question your participation, but, before you think all hope is lost, let’s see what God’s Word says about planned giving and how you can develop a simple giving plan for this initiative.
First, we must remember that if we give our plan to God, it is up to him to provide and he is the author of our success:
I answered them by saying, “The God of heaven will give us success. We his servants will start rebuilding…..” – Nehemiah 2:20
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. – Proverbs 16:3
Second, you should give time to prayer and fasting, so that God provides you with the giving plan for this initiative. In Paul’s letter to the Corinthians, there are some guidelines found on how to develop a giving plan:
- Determine how much you are able give (2 Cor. 8:3 – “For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability.”)
- Desire to give (2 Cor. 8:3b – “Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints.”)
- Develop your Plan (1 Cor. 16:2 – “On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.”)
- Implement your Plan (2 Cor. 8:11 – “Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means.”)
- Remind yourself of God’s promises (2 Cor. 9:6-8 – “Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”)
All of these steps are consistent with the passage exhortation of 2 Cor. 9:7: “Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” The matter is placed squarely on the shoulders of the individual believer who is to give “as he has purposed in his heart.” Clearly, 2 Cor. 9:7 is God’s will for our giving.
To help you, CCF has provided a training video series on how to develop a budget and simple giving plan, with tips on finding the funds in your budget to contribute. These videos will not only give you the tools to develop your simple giving plan, but will also help with day to day budgeting and long term giving. The following is a list of the training videos:
- God is the Provider.
- What is a budget/spending plan?
- Why create a budget/spending plan?
- How to create a budget/spending plan.
- Everyone can participate in the initiative.
- How to find funds in your budget to participate in the initiative.
- How to create your giving plan.
God is a giver. As you learn to give more generously, you will become more like your Father.
Remember God is in charge!! All you have to do is step out in faith, and leave the rest up to God.